From:
Katy & Ron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 22:38:06 -0600
From: "Adrienne Smith" <[log in to unmask]>

> > 1500 mg
>
> Anyone know where this number came from.  When my doctor said women need at
> least 1,000-1,500 mg per day.....<snip>Also, I eat sardines but even those
only have about
> 360mg per can.

Do google searches:  (Reinhold) Veith (and) Vitamin D. Read Veith stuff.
Veith is Canadian and is running phase II clinical trials on Vitamin D.
Of course its related to calcium needs.  I don't have an URL ref, but Veith has
said somewhere in some of his reports that people who live, for example, in
Northern Africa where they get daily ample sunshine also have very healthy bones
with little if any osteoporosis on a daily calcium of 400-600mg.  (and for ginny
wilken:  magnesium s/b 50% of calcium.)  The amount of NEED of calcium IS
related to Vit D intake and the Vit D NEED is MUCH higher than any RDA if one
must take supplements rather than getting full body sunshine. But its D3 that we
need.

Sorry to be so vague..but the info is out there under Veith's work.

Katy