From:
Dennis Thiel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 11:01:26 -0500
Eric,

Motorola has a new wireless system called Canopy that is designed to extend
the range of an existing ISP or it can be used to start an ISP. We are using
it at work to extend the range of our network to my boss's house about a
half mile away. Although Motorola says it wasn't designed to do this because
of the size of the packets it breaks the data down to, it works very well
and reliably. The best part is it uses Ethernet cables to connect to your PC
and is web page configurable so there's no software to install and it's easy
to set up. In it's simplest form, which is what we have set up at the shop,
you have an access point and a subscriber module that talk to each other.
The access point is connected to our network, and the subscriber module is
connected to the remote PC at my boss's house. He can access the network and
the Internet just as if he were at the shop. Very slick.

It works in the unlicensed 5.2 GHz and 5.7 GHz bands. At 5.2 the range is 2
miles, and at 5.7 the range is 10 miles. With backhaul units you can beam
the signal up to 35 miles.

For those interested, check out the site. http://www.motorola.com/canopy/

As far as cost, the definition of "inexpensive" isn't the same for everyone.
In it's simplest form it would probably cost around $1500 to buy the AP and
SM.

Dennis Thiel