From:
Andrew Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Sep 2003 15:24:57 +1200
Unfortunately, my doctors are doing the drugs as well.  But, the idea is to
eventually lower the amount of drugs I am on as the diet takes effect.  I am
also being given an antibiotic therapy.  There is mounting research to
suggest that RA (actually Ankylosing Spondilytis)  is triggered by bacteria
from the gut and that the immune system is trying to kill this bacteria,
hence all the swelling in the joints.

The reason I'm being put on the diet is to try and reduce my intake of food
that produces Lectin.  Lectin damages the gut lining and allows bacteria to
pass from the gut into the body thus causing an immune response and hence
RA.

I've done some research on Lectins since the last posting and seems there
are a few things in the Paleo diet that don't produce lectins and a few
things that do.  E.g. it would be nice to find a grain that doesn't produce
lectins - sorry if such a comment is heresey on this listserver :-).  I just
want to fine tune the diet to the real cause of the RA rather than take a
shotgun approach.

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of all foods that contain/produce
high/toxic levels of lectin?

Best regards,
Andrew

Surf the net and talk on the phone with Xtra Jetstream @