From:
Bruce Kleisner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 20:28:12 -0400
<Bruce>
> > We have lots of evidence
> > that primitive humans cooked food regularly over fire.

<Amadeus Schmidt>
> Metal usage is less than 6000 years old.
> Pottery is neolithic, less than 12000 years old.
> We have evidence of stone hearths. Up to 400,000 years old.
> But no evidence of roasting anything over it.

We have proof of regular cooking for 125,000 yrs,
and sporadic cooking for 500,000 to 1,500,000 yrs.
We might not have evidence for many truths/facts.
We may choose to deny or ignore good evidence.

http://www.beyondveg.com/

> It *is* possible to cook meat in a pit in the ground.
> I assume it has been done. This is cooking in watery
> environment, less than 100 deg C (no trans fats, that
> was the topic).

Saturated fats are immune to TFAs. PUFAs and MUFas
are the most vulnerable. Trans fats also naturally
occur in meat and dairy fats. Hydrogenated oils do
the most damage. They contain trans fatty acids in
abundance, along with other new chemical compounds
that have proven unsafe.

> The point is not about cooking. But roasting, frying
> at high temperatures. And with lots of fat. That's as
> paleo as eating honey. May have occured from time to
> time. Certainly not everyday.

Honey becomes unhealthy due to our tampering with
it. A similar situation applies with milk. Humans
ruin food by processing it to death or turning it
into standardized commodities. Frying at extreme
temperatures has little in common with roasting.