From:
ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 08:26:51 -0700
At 19:42 6/19/03, Susan Wolf Sternberg wrote:
>I have only one healthy, fully functioning kidney.  My left kidney was
>removed 12 years ago due to kidney cancer, and I have been doing fine with
>just the
>one.  Peeing more often than with two kidneys, but otherwise no different than
>before.  I have been eating a combo of Paleo and Atkins these past several
>months, and feel great.  Much more energy, fifteen pound weight loss, and a
>noticeable decrease in allergies.  Today I was told by a nutritionist
>acquaintance
>that perhaps I should not be eating this way because of the one kidney, and
>that higher protein and low carb will cause the kidney to work harder, and
>could damage it.  She says that with low carb unless I am an athelete, my body
>will not burn fat as fuel, but rather will burn protein, and the nitrogen waste
>from the protein that is excretd will be hard on my kidney.  I am under the
>impression from what I have read that my body burns fat for fuel, but she says
>no, that it burns the protein.  I drink lots of water each day, well over
>half a
>gallon, and so my urine is diluted.  I think she has her facts wrong, but I
>am now feeling a little concerned.  I am wondering if I should consult with my
>physician about this.  I never thought I needed to before today.  I would
>appreciate feedback.
>Thanks,
>Susan Wolf

I'm not a doctor or anywhere close, but firstly, the right diet for humans
should be the right diet for kidneys. In dogs we have seen a total reversal
of the low-protein recommendation in enlightened vets when kidney failure
is imminent. The animals do far better, in fact are "cured" as you are, on
a raw high-protein regime. Apparently the blood ratios are not all that
skewed; the abudance of protein in the diet is not translated to abnormal
blood levels. Although we will sometimes see a slightly elevated BUN, one
can make the argument that it is the "SAD" dogs whose levels are
artifically too low.

I also don't think that two quarts of water a day is a lot to handle; I
easily do that without a thought to trying.

My worthless opinion,

ginny

All stunts performed without a net!