From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 09:18:21 -0400
From: "Susan Wolf Sternberg" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2003 7:42 PM
Subject: [P-F] Paleo/Atkins and Only One Kidney.

>   I am under the
> impression from what I have read that my body burns fat for fuel, but she
says
> no, that it burns the protein.  I drink lots of water each day, well over
half a
> gallon, and so my urine is diluted.  I think she has her facts wrong...
> I am wondering if I should consult with my
> physician about this.

Of course your body burns fat. Everyone's body burns fat, as far as I know.
Fat-burning is the basic energy system for muscle with glycogen reserved for
higher intensity effort. Also, if you're eating fat while losing weight by
getting leaner rather than by keeping your fat and wasting your muscle, then
you are obviously burning fat. I think the normal two kidney set-up is a
redundant system, and that one healthy kidney can do as good a job as two.
Should easily be able to handle a low carb diet as long as protein isn't
over 40% of calories. Maybe someone else knows more about this. I don't see
why you shouldn't check with your doctor, but keep in mind that many doctors
probably know as little about it as your nutritionist seems to know. Perhaps
your doctor has a lab test available to check on how your kidney is handling
it.
Hilary McClure
Danville, Vermont