Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 19:17:34 -0400
Dori wrote:

> Seriously, a complete lack of autoimmune disorders doesn't strike you
> as significant?

I agree the modern diet has probably increased some of these disorders (e.g.
diabetes) but I don't believe there is any solid evidence for a "complete
lack of autoimmune disorders" in paleolithic people. I object especially
because of your use of the word "complete".

The evidence for many autoimmune disorders would be undetectable in skeletal
remains, so how can we say with complete certainty that none existed prior
to the advent of agriculture? Also their diagnosis is difficult and often
missed even by modern physicians, so it's hardly clear that they are
"completely" non-existent in those very few true hunter-gatherer societies
that still exist.

But let's say for the sake of argument that, as you say, all autoimmune
diseases were completely non-existent in paleo times. Even then it would not
follow necessarily that paleo humans ware on balance dramatically healthier
than modern 21st century 1st world humans. There are many other factors to
consider.

-gts