From:
Matt Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 13:41:32 -0500
From: "Jim Swayze"
> So there were no ADD hunter gatherers since we hadn't yet begun to eat
> grains.

I read a review of a book last year, don't remember the name, but thought at
the time it would make an interesting and maybe insightful read.  I can't do
it justice by recapping here, but the gist was that of ADD tracked
throughout the world for its incidence and migration patterns.  New World
pops of North & South America have a greater prevalence.  I remember in
particular that So. Americans have a higher incidence of ADD than North
Americans.  The more recent the ancient and modern migration and settlement
of an area, the greater the incidence.

I told my brother about what I'd read and his comment was, "Why? Can't they
find their way back home?"  The review seemed to indicate that ADD, when not
societally suppressed and regarded as a deviance from the norm as it usually
is (and children punished for it and made to feel inferior/damaged/deranged
for who they are), confers a powerful sense of
infallibility/fearlessness--they have little/no limiting sense that they
might fail at whatever they undertake out of their *own* inquisitiveness.
Not conducive to the classroom, for sure, but invaluable, I would think, for
living within nature.

As someone married into a family with three living generations of family
members w/ADD,  it's been both wacky and wonderful.  Roughly half the family
has ADD and, interestingly, the ones with it tend to be the higher achievers
among the lot and quite successful at what they do.  And, yes, every one of
them are what I'd definitely call carb addicts.  Give 'em sugar and watch
'em go.   As an aside, the ones w/ADD really like to drink.  Or did, since
two out of five went into a 12-Step program several years ago.

Theola