From:
Rob Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 19:22:39 -0500
> 1) I feel unsatisfied with my food, especially not having salt, to the
> point where it is impinging on my functioning.

If you're starting low-carb, you may need a daily potassium supplement.
Undesired yeast may also be dying off in your intestine, contributing to
some cravings.

Morton's no-salt is a sodium-free way of adding potassium.  If you *need*
extra salt, you may have underfunctioning adrenals.

> Then I got the book The Paleo Diet, and learned that the recommendation
> is for lean meat only, almost no fat...So how do you all deal with
cravings for grains and with dissatisfaction
> from bland food?

Fat is flavor.  The Paleo diet is not low fat.  Cordain recommends low fat
meats *supplemented* with sources of omega-3 and monounsaturated rich oils.
He recommends this so that the total fat profile in today's diet approaches
the fat profile of wild game our hunter-gatherer ancestors ate (i.e. better
omega-3 : omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acid profile, better ratio of mono,
poly, and saturated fatty acids).  [Today's feedlot, grain-fed beef is
higher in saturated fat and omega-6 fatty acids]

> And flax oil !!  Holy Moses, it's like $15 a pint.

Wild salmon oil is better because it contains the critical DHA and EPA fats.
Skip the flax and the canola oil.  Use butter, coconut oil, and extra virgin
oil olive.

Buy less expensive cuts of beef, skim of most visible fat, and throw it in
the crock pot with some veggies. 4 - 8 hours later (low or high setting),
and Walla! dinner is done, with a few extra meals to boot!

Rob