From:
MichaelAnthony <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 20:41:02 -0500
Melinda said:
My problems are the following:
1) I feel unsatisfied with my food, especially not having salt <snip>

2) This is a very expensive diet ...
3)  This diet is very time-consuming ...
_____________________________________

Hi everyone,
I have been on the paleo way of eating for 4 years. I have been thriving on
it and have lost 145 pounds and kept it off for 1 year. My experience with
approaching this way of eating as a strict diet is that it doesn't work.
Viewing it as a lifetime way of eating works for me. I am not strict about
anything except wheat ( I am very allergic to it ). All of the my changes
toward paleo had to be made in moderation. For instance, it took me three
months to gradually wean myself from wheat and cheese. When I go to a
restaurant I may allow myself to eat potatoes but I don't eat them at home.
Easy does it is my motto.

I won't let the best paleo diet ( promoted in the books) ruin a good paleo
way of eating that works for me.

The most important parts of paleo eating for me are:
1. Eating animal protein including fat (regular grocery store stuff on
sale).
2.Eating lots of paleo vegetables, some fruits and nuts.
3.Limiting oils to olive oil except when eating out when I have butter.
4. I take a tablespoon of flax seed oil per day.

I don't believe that it is necessary to eat lean cuts of meat to be paleo. I
ate about 50% fat when I was losing my weight. I also made it a point to eat
enough sea salt. I find that cooking is easy. I steam lots of frozen
vegetables in an electric steamer. I make a great vegetable soup with
chicken broth in about 15 min prep time  + 20 min cooking time. I use a
crock pot for meat or I bake chicken in the oven or microwave. A 6 ounce
portion of canned salmon, a few anchovies on a bed of lettuce with olive oil
and balsamic vinegar topped off with walnuts or pecans takes about 5 minutes
to prepare and makes a great meal.

 Michael