From:
Dave Fobare <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 11:29:02 -0500
Jeff,

To be fair to Germany, isn't their current predicament to some extent a
result of short-term domestic politics? Schroeder's coalition faced some
tough recent elections that were focused on domestic economic issues and to
counter that he pandered shamelessly to extremist lefties on the Iraq issue
in an effort to rally his base. It didn't work, and now Gerhard and Fischer
are just trying to keep things afloat. I think that deep down neither of
these guys are quite as anti-US as they portray on the surface.

The French, on the other hand, are as bad as they appear I think.

Dave