From:
MARION R MORRIS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 15:43:20 -0800
I'm 61 yrs. old & have RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS (RA), insulin resistance,
fatigue, & general malaise. I've been on this diet for17 days with no
cheating & no relief. It's been very rough - I've never liked to cook &
my energy level is way down by dinner time & often all day. And giving up
coffee for green tea is hell. Still I take walks & do mild exercise for
years.

I tried the "Protein Power" diet but couldn't go that low on carbs., &
the "Carbohydrate Addicts" diet for months on which I lost 13 lbs. Only
lost about 4 lbs. on Paleo - need 5-10 lbs. more, or at least to loose my
big tummy. I try to keep the fruit & nuts low but it's hard. I'm a
reformed Vegetarian! I've had RA for about 10 yrs. & have tried
everything & every nutrient known - our finances are shot! I want to get
off the Motrin for pain as it's damaging. I have taken Prednisone - a
very damaging steroid. If I don't see some improvement soon, I'll have to
go on an immuno-suppressive drug probably within 6 weeks, as my right arm
has been bad for 3 yrs. & is getting worse along with the rest of me. I
can't straighten the arm  & it's very painful at times along with other
joints. But, I DON'T LIKE DRUGS.

I need some hope & confirmation that I'll soon see signs of remission -
that's why I began the Paleo diet. If not, I'm afraid I'll give in to
cravings & go off it. I need the energy Ray Audette spoke of - When will
it come?

I'm not good at computer, but please, someone with RA whose condition has
improved eating this way, tell me of your experience. I NEED HOPE NOW to
stop getting worse, stay off drugs, & stick to this natural way of eating
that makes sense to me, at least in theory.

But, a BIG COMPLICATION is NICOTINE, (I'm an X-heavy smoker), & am badly
addicted to Nicorette Gum for years. I hate to think of the damage it
must be doing & probably keeping the cravings going. The diet & just life
are about all the stress I can stand but my chance to get off nicotine
may be the new "Commit" quit smoking lozenge, a 3 month program. (This
might work as it goes in the mouth & my mouth seems to be my big
problem!). But, ASPARTANE artificial sweetener is it's first "other
ingredient" - hence CRAVINGS!! So shall I go back to the "Carb. Addicts"
diet in 3 wks. when I'm out of gum for 3 months till I'm off, then back
to Paleo?!? If so, would probably mean the RA drug for sure & continued
cravings anyway!! But at least I can eat that way easier (sort of).
What's the answer?? I don't know what's the best thing to do. I'd sure
appreciate some help to decide.

Audrey