From:
Rob Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 20:05:10 -0500
> Does the calcium level in one's blood have any relation to whether or not
> enough is being consumed in one's diet?

Probably not; at least not directly.

"3. If I consume foods fortified with calcium, would it change my laboratory
results?

In general, consuming fortified foods will not affect your calcium test
results."
www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/calcium/faq.html

"What does the test result mean?
Because about half of the calcium in your blood is bound by albumin (a
protein), a normal calcium level with a low albumin level means there is too
much calcium in your blood.

A high calcium level is called hypercalcemia. You have too much calcium in
your blood and will need treatment for the underlying condition. This
usually is caused by:

Hyperparathyroidism (increase in parathyroid gland function): This condition
is usually caused by a benign (not cancerous) tumor on the parathyroid
gland. This form of hypercalcemia is usually mild and can be present for
many years before being noticed.

Cancer: Cancer can cause hypercalcemia when it spreads to the bones, which
releases calcium into the blood, or when cancer causes a hormone similar to
PTH to increase calcium levels.

Other causes of hypercalcemia include:
* hyperthyroidism,
* sarcoidosis,
* tuberculosis,
* bone breaks combined with bed rest or not moving for a long periods of
time,
* excess Vitamin D intake,
* kidney transplant, and
* high protein levels (for example, if a tourniquet is used for too long
while blood is collected). In this case, free or ionized calcium remains
normal.
* High levels of ionized calcium occur with all the above, except high
protein levels.

Low calcium levels, called hypocalcemia, mean that you do not have enough
calcium in your blood or that you don't have enough protein in your blood.
The most common cause of low total calcium is low protein levels, especially
low albumin. When low protein is the problem, the ionized calcium level
remains normal.

Low calcium, known as hypocalcemia, is caused by many conditions:

* low protein levels,
* underactive parathyroid gland (hypoparathyroidism),
* decreased dietary intake of calcium,
* decreased levels of vitamin D,
* magnesium deficiency,
* too much phosphorus,
* acute inflammation of the pancreas,
* chronic renal failure,
* calcium ions becoming bound to protein (alkalosis),
* bone disease,
* malnutrition, and
* alcoholism.

Causes of low ionized calcium levels include all the above, except low
protein levels.

In most cases, test results are reported as numerical values rather than as
"high" or "low", "positive" or "negative", or "normal". In these instances,
it is necessary to know the reference range for the particular test.
However, reference ranges may vary by the patient's age, sex, as well as the
instrumentation or kit used to perform the test. To learn more about
reference ranges, please see the article, Reference Ranges and What They
Mean. To learn the reference range for your test, consult your doctor or
laboratorian."
www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/calcium/test.html

Rob