From:
Richard Archer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 10:53:02 +1100
At 7:52 +1000 20/1/03, Phosphor wrote:

>marrow and depot fat are high in SFA. paleo man ate them. so in order to
>imitate him, we should not eat them. is this it?

Of course marrow is in fact one of the least saturated sources of
lipids in an animal carcass (20% SFA, 60% MUFA and 10% PUFA).
Nobody ever accused Andrew of letting a fact get in the way of a
good character assassination.

If paleo people eat the whole carcass (or even if they
preferentially eat organ meats over muscle meats), their
SFA:MUFA:PUFA lipid intake would be in the order of 3:3:1.

"Beef" listed in the USDA database has a lipid profile of 10:10:1.

It seems that in order to imitate a paleo diet, an eater of "beef"
would need to reduce intake of SFA and to increase their intake of
PUFA. This would serve to bring the profile of lipid intake back
to a paleo level.

Which begs the question of whether modern "beef" can actually be
included in a paleo diet, given that it's lipid profile is so
dissimilar to that found in game animals.

 ...R.