From:
Jay Banks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 13:02:30 -0600
> Much of the pro-flax literature claims it is high in alpha linolenic acid
and
> characterizes this as an Omega-3.  In fact, some flax sites claim there's
> more Omega-3 in flax than salmon. Isn't this a gross mischaracterization
> because in reality, alpha linolenic acid is just a precurser to  Omega-3
> which is EPH and DHA?

I read a study that compared flax omega-3s to fish omega-3s as they
related to preventing heart attacks (note: you have to take any study
with a grain of salt, but I'm just reporting what I read). It seems
that fish omega-3s are called "long-chain" omega-3s, and flax seed
omega-3s are called "short-chain" omega-3s. The study concluded
that fish based omega-3s were superior in preventing heart attacks...
but also mentioned that the flax based omega-3s very well could
have more benefits than fish omega-3s IN OTHER AREAS.

I have seen people *speculate* that certain people have trouble
converting short-chain omega-3s into long-chain omega-3, which
is why some people do better with fish oils than they do flax oil...
and this sounds reasonable to me.

Someone wrote:
> flax has never been used as a food crop. never. anyone try to contradict
me
> here? it has been grown for yonks to produce linen.
snip
> andrew

I didn't find any references to it, but I thought flax was one of the
oldest crops mentioned in the Bible and that they used it in
breads? I know it is mentioned in the Bible...but I'm not sure
what it was used it for? I always just assumed they were
eating it?

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extpubs/plantsci/crops/a1038w.htm
Flax (genus-species name Linum usitatissimum) production goes back to
ancient history. Flax remnants were found in Stone Age dwellings in
Switzerland and ancient Egyptians made fine linens from flax fiber. Flax
production moved west across the northern United States and Canada during
the 1800s. As settlers moved west, flax was one of the crops produced. North
Dakota farmers have grown flax since the first sod was broken.

http://www.genericflaxseed.com/flax_history.htm
Flax seed has a long history of medicinal use, its main effects being as a
laxative and expectorant that soothes irritated tissues, controls coughing
and relieves pain. The seed, or the oil from the seed are normally used.