From:
Richard Archer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 12:45:03 +1100
At 16:30 -0700 28/10/02, Anita Dittmar wrote:

>My herbalist has put me on a candida-reducing diet to be combined with the
>Paleolithic diet.  My concern right now is the cost.  Meat and produce seem
>to be quite expensive.  How much money do you find you spend on food?  Is it
>a lot more than before you switched to this way of life?

I find meat and produce are quite cheap compared to the pre-packaged
junk food many people eat. Before I started this diet I used to eat
at restaurants and eat take-away quite a lot, so buying the produce
and cooking it at home has worked out being *much* cheaper for me.

Look around and try to find a fresh produce market and a bulk meat
supplier. Butchers and supermarkets (at least around here) tend to
cost nearly double what I pay at the market. I do a fortnightly run
to a local market and buy up about 15 kilos of meat. For that I pay
the price of a dinner for two at a good restaurant :)

I buy quite a lot of herbs and spices, and the cost of these can
quickly add up. I've found a couple of quite cheap Asian groceries
with an excellent range of fresh herbs and greens. And one of the
stalls at the produce market sells bulk spices at about 20% of the
price at a supermarket.

It pays to shop around.

 ...Richard.