From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 10:47:56 -0400
Amadeus Schmidt wrote:

> If we want to look at africa, as the probable home of homo up to the year
> 40,000 I'm waiting for a list of fat and abundant animals.

The figures I've seen are 60,000 years ago into Australia, 40 to 50,000
years ago into Europe. But anyway, the "replacement" (or pure "out of
africa") theory of human evolution does not seem to be conquering the
other theories. Many people feel there is some continuity of ancestry
from homo erectus through older homo sapiens and neanderthal to modern
homo sapiens in different regions, Europe and Asia, either through
partial replacement (new migrants interbreeding with older occupants) or
through parallel evolution with small amounts of inter-regional
cross-breeding. That might mean that the populations that had a long
adaptation to cold megafauna subsistence weren't wiped away by the new
wave from Africa, but did manage to contribute genes to us modern
humans, at least in Asia, the Middle East, Europe, and America. I've
also read that ice-age population bottlnecks could have accelerated the
evolutionary progress or adaptation in Europe by weeding out genetic
traits unsuited to those conditions.

Hilary