Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 06:57:23 -0700
 Jennifer Dube' <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
The gourmet cook in me is becoming a bit terrified at
the prospect of not being able to thicken sauces. An
extension of my original question -- Do any of you use
arrowroot as a thickener? (It appears to come from
China, but I have no idea if it is edible raw.)

Jen,

I've used Arrowroot ever since my wife got me started eating this way.  I used Tapioca as well, but found it's results less desirable - imagine sweet and sour sauce with the consistency of oatmeal.  yuck!  I'm not a gourment cook or even a good cook, but I always have good results with arrowroot.  I use it in place of corn starch for all my old recipes and it always works out fine... though I have found that I need a little more arrowroot than corn starch.

I also did some research into tapioca, but you've found more than I did.  Frankly, I lost interest when I decided to use Arrowroot exclusively.

Another one I've had a question about for some time is BUCKWHEAT.  Apparently it's a fruit/veggie (like rhubarb or celery) and not technically a grain.  Is that right?  Does anyone else ever use buckwheat or buckwheat flour?

Josh

Austin, TX