From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 19:10:42 -0400
Susan Carmack wrote:

> Hi Todd,
>
>>   landjaeger.
>

> What is that, please?

Landjaeger is a kind of "hunter's sausage," presumably so-called because
it was an easy lunch for a hunter to pack.  It's a dried, high-fat spicy
sausage, made by various companies.  Each one is about the size of a
cigar, usually.  I get them at the local farmer's market, for about
$6/pound.  One landjager is about 260 calories: 22g of fat, 14g of
protein, and one gram of carb (some residual sugar from the curing
process).  I find them quite tasty, and easy to take with me for a quick
lunch.  I know that some would worry about the gram of sugar, but I
don't.  There's more sugar than that in an ounce of liver.  Because
they're dried they are relatively non-greasy to the touch (they are in a
gut casing, which is also dried); you can just stick a couple in a
pocket -- although they do have a definite spicy sausage smell.
 Something like a Slim Jim.

Doing this high-fat thing, a landjaeger alone has too much protein, at
21.5%, so I would add macadamias or a glob of sour cream or something.
 Landjaegers and macadamias travel well, at least.

Todd Moody