From:
Evelyn McWilliams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 08:33:46 +1000
I have been implementing basic paleo principles in my eating for the past few days. I have experienced the 'lift' in energy and mood levels that many on this list talk about. Yesterday, however, I experienced a severe headache (of unknown provenance - I don't, as a rule, suffer from headache) and a cavernous drop in energy levels. Plus a generalised feeling of unwellness.
I could not attribute these symptoms to anything in particular - no abnormal stress, nothing to do with time of the month etc - so can only attribute it to something going on involving a switch from a previously very high carb, almost zero fat approach to a very (for me) low carb, low fat regimen.

I was interested to read in Wolfgang Lutz's introduction in his book "Life without bread" about his theory of two opposing forces involved in switching to low carb eating and wonder if therein lies a clue to my feeling so unwell.

"the effect of a low-carbohydrate diet is dependent upon two processes opposed to each other. On the one hand, there is an improvement in the quality of tissues and organs and on the other forces originating in the immune system are mobilized are directed against the body's own organs (auto-aggression). Since, unbeknown to us, immune diseases of this kind may be latent within us, it is strongly recommended that a low (refined) carbohydrate diet should be supervised by a physician if any disturbing symptoms exist or develop."

Any thoughts?

Evelyn McWilliams