NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susan Kuflik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 01:18:35 -0500
All this talk about "outgrowing" allergies is very interesting to me. I
have an 18 month old daughter who was diagnosed with a milk allergy
earlier this year. Thankfully it's not a life threatening allergy (hats of
to all of you deal with that one on a daily basis...I'd be a nervous
wreck!) but she did "score" 35 on the skin test. She also has lesser
allergies to eggs, wheat, peanuts & almonds. We have completely eliminated
dairy in its "pure" forms but have not eliminated it in things like baked
goods and that seems to be working just fine for her. I had read that if
children eliminated those foods to which they had a mild allergy to they
may "outgrow" their allergy later. Based on that, I've tried to cut back
on her exposure to wheat and eggs (cutting nuts complete
ly). It's hard to
make dinner when one child can't eat dairy, wheat and eggs and my 3 year
old is mortally afraid of vegetables and fruit. My husband threatened to
have himself tested for food allergies.... at which point I threatened to
divorce him ;)

Am I wasting my time with these "lesser" allergies?

I was wondering if anyone else has been dealing with the same scenario
long-term and has any insight.