C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"K. Salkin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 2003 22:29:33 -0400
The theory of the culture of poverty as Lewis described it has been proven
in the field of Applied Anthropology, and his studies are pretty much dogma.
It's the mindset that goes with this 'culture' that I'm talking about and it
can be one of resignation or dependence, the end result is the same: living
entirely in the present, with little or no ability to conceive of the future
and how to plan for it.  As I said earlier, I can see why that happens.
However just as one can move from one culture into another, you can move out
of the culture of poverty.  It's not easy but you can do it.

Kat