VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"VICUG-L: Visually Impaired Computer Users' Group List" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Tom Fowle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 May 2004 08:44:34 -700
I think I had mentioned the "zipspeak" distribution of Linux on
this list recently as a claimed easy way to get started with Linux.

That was not a reccommendation as I hadn't tried it yet.  Since I
now have, I thought a short update might help some.

I am not slamming the zipspeak effort and particularly the
speakup screen reader that comes with that distribution, but it
appears not to be an  easy way to get started.

My basic reason for trying linux is better, more stable, and more
reliable internet access.  I am one of those for whom windows and
the so called screen readers they sell for it simply are not an
acceptable means of working.

I have not given up on linux by any means.
However know that the distribution of Linux used in the Zipspeak
system is called "slackware" and is 10 years old!

After some considerable fuss, I did get the zipspeak system to
install and come up with the speakup screen reader running.

that's all that worked.

With the help of my in-house systems guy, who is a very
proficient linux systems administrator, we went through days of
trying to get the slackware system to work with a number of
network cards.

To keep a long story less long, this was a mess of revision
numbers, out of date modules, and so on.

Absolutely not to even be considered if you don't have
knowledgable help.

Also, there is very little documentation with the Zipspeak
package.

Beyond that,the persons listed for support have invalid web sites and
email addresses.

Again, I have not given up on linux or on the speakup screen
reader, just on Zipspeak which is an obviously badly supported
and out of date package,

Just so as you don't ever get the idea that anything is easy!

Maybe we'll make a new world wide rule that nobody should be allowed
to use the words "easy" or "E Z" in a product name or in
advertising.

Still thrashing

Tom

Net-Tamer V 1.13 Beta - Registered