VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"VICUG-L: Visually Impaired Computer Users' Group List" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Everett Gavel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 22:30:15 -0400
Hi,

Well, no, it wouldn't justify it, for everyone.  You just pointed out a
very interesting aspect for me that wasn't clarified in such a way as to
hit home so well, previously...  the fact that the price of an Apple, with
or without a screenreader built-in, is the same price, roughly, of a PC
*with* the additional cost of the #1 screenreader on the market.

Thanks for that.  Because rather than having to learn a whole new OS & a
new screenreader, I'll stick with my IBM-Compatible, Windows, & JFW for as
long as I can, since there is no real price difference, when it comes down
to it.

It may be more stable, but that doesn't necessarily mean a better choice
when so much time would have to be put in on training to get back up to a
similar level of expertise.   That's for me.  For others, looking for
jobs/careers, being proficient with the more-typical IBM/Windows setup is a
better choice, I think, still today.

The only real draw I saw was that it was all-in-one, and I was thinking for
a better price.  But if there is no price difference, it makes better
job/business sense right now to stick with what most of the world knows and
uses.

Thanks for the Enlightenment,
Everett