Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 21:39:35 -0500
Richard Archer wrote:

<<And secondly for farmed Atlantic Salmon.

Personally, I'm mostly interested in the Tasmanian ones, because
that's what I buy when I shop for salmon. This document dates from
Oct 2000, and is from an educational institution rather than an
industry source, but nevertheless:
http://www.utas.edu.au/docs/aquaculture/salmon/feeds.html

It says Tasmanian salmon get fed:

"fish meal, fish oil, grain products, milk products, binders and
vitamin/mineral premixes. Pigments such astaxanthin are incorporated
into the feeds to colour the flesh ... Attractants and feeding
stimulants, which are based on compounds such as amino acids,
also may be used to improve feed consumption and growth, and
to reduce waste">>

On the issue of Tasmanian salmon, have you noticed, Richard, that, whereas
the European smoked salmon sold here in Australia have added 'smoke [or
smoke flavour] and salt' the Tasmanian smoked salmon have added sugar as
well!  Sugar in fish!

When I was a kid we used to compete with each other to come up with the
most ghastly combinations of food we could imagine.  I remember in a 1950s
discussion one of our group came up with 'sardines on toast with
marmalade'.  He should have patented the idea.

Keith