Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Matt Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 13:43:07 -0500
I've noticed with interest over the past 5 1/2 months of paleo eating that
the white spots I used to always have on/in my fingernails are now gone.  As
the nails have grown out, no new white spots appeared growing out from the
cuticle. Back in the 80's I read they were symptomatic of a lack of
nutrient(s)--primarily zinc, if I recall correctly.  However,
supplementation never corrected the problem for me.  I once asked my doctor
what caused the spots, and he said fingers take lots of bumps and white
spots were indicative of little damages that occur around the cuticle.   My
hands still get a daily allotment of bumps in life, but I no longer have
white spots.  I really think paleo has "cured" the problem, not because of
what I'm eating but because of what I'm not eating.  I seem to recall that
phytates interfere with zinc absorption.  Is that right?  So, really, if low
zinc *is* accurately implicated in white spots, then maybe no amount of
supplementation can alleviate the problem if the nutrient is digestively not
available.  Sound right?

Also want to report that while others around me have been suffering from
seasonal fall allergies for several weeks now, so far I have been
unaffected.   Since I was 10 years old I have dreaded the fall sinus
discomforts/sickness.  This is too good, too good.  Wish I had found paleo
sooner.

Theola