C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 23:49:42 -0400
Hi Jason,

I'm not sure if this is the best solution, but I can tell you how my dad
handled the situation, in hopes that it will give you some ideas and the
knowledge that other parents have struggled with the same things.

For reference, I'm now 19 with spastic diplegia that almost exclusively
affects my legs.  I use a power wheelchair and live about 90%independently
at college.  My abilities are almost certainly different from your
daughter's (I'm sorry, I can't remember her name), but take them for
whatever they're worth.

My main difficulty was in reaching the pedals (one of my legs is about 2
inches shorter than the other) and having enough strength in my legs to push
the pedals.  My dad used wood blocks to move both of the pedals up, so I
didn't have to push down as far, and had more leverage.  He also put velcro
straps on them, so I didn't have to concentrate on keeping my feet still
(the more I exert myself, the worse I spasm).  He also attached a long leash
to the back bumper of the bike, so that he could pull it when I needed a
rest, or needed help getting up a hill.

What I remember isn't so much where I rode with my friends, or what we did,
but that my dad loved me enough to put the time into it.  It makes me feel
good that there are so many more options available for your daughter than
there were during my (admittedly recent) childhood.

I hope this helped at least a little bit.  Good luck to you and your
daughter!

~Joy~