From:
Kathleen Estes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 06:06:19 EST

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Food Allergen Consumer
Protection Act (S. 2499).

Sen. Kennedy has introduced S. 2499 to require that product labels convey
the presence of one of eight known food allergens- milk, eggs, fish,
Crustacea, tree nuts, wheat, peanuts, and soybeans. Because there is no
cure for food allergies, the only way consumers can be safe is by avoiding
foods that cause a reaction. About 150 Americans die each year from
anaphylactic shock caused by food allergens, and thousands more are sent
to the emergency room.

Currently, the Food and Drug Administration does not require certain
additives to be declared on product labels. The FDA found in a study that
25% of the food inspected failed to list ingredients classified as
possible allergens. Americans need to be able to have confidence in the
food they consume by being informed of their potentially dangerous
ingredients.

This bill has been referred to the Senate Committee on Health, Education,
Labor, and Pensions. While I am not a member of that committee, I will
certainly take your comments into account should I have the opportunity to
vote on this issue on the Senate floor. Please feel free to contact me
about other issues of interest to you.

Please do not reply to this message.  The e-mail address
[log in to unmask] is no longer valid for incoming messages.
If you would like additional information or would like to contact me in
the future, please visit my website, http://billnelson.senate.gov, and
click on the link marked "Contact Bill".