From:
Valerie Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 09:39:00 -0700

I love nuts, but have had trouble tolerating them for years.  It used to
be if I ate them very often, I'd get a sore rash in my mouth & belly
aches.  In Sally Fallon's book, "Nourishing Traditions," I found a way to
prepare nuts that makes them easier to tolerate & more tasty w/o cooking
out all the nutrition & enzymes.  Soak raw nuts 12 to 16 hours in salted
water, drain, then dehydrate 4 to 6 hours till completely dry & crisp.
(I use a food dehydrator.)  Soaking removes the phytic acid, which
interfers with the absorption of important minerals.  Apparently phytic
acid is irritating to my GI tract because I've been eating lots of
peacans processed in this matter for a month now w/o any problems at all.
  (If you haven't gotten a copy of "Nourishing Traditions," I highly
recommend you do so.  I've heard it's getting harder & harder to get hold
of this amazing book.)  ~Valerie in Tacoma, WA

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.