From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Apr 1995 23:50:03 EST

                         Food Allergy Meeting
                         --------------------
                       summarized by Kathy Davis

Recently I had the opportunity to attend the first meeting of a new
group.  This was a meeting held in Plymouth for people with allergies
to food.  For me it was nostalgic to sit at this meeting and remember
our very first TCCSSG meeting.  There were many similarities between
the two meetings.

There was probably the same number of people in attendance as we had
at our first meeting.  The Food Allergy Meeting was organized by two
nurses that have children with food allergies.  Dr. David Seaman, an
allergist from University of Michigan Hospital, spoke on exactly what
happens to the body during an allergy attack.  There were many
questions during the meeting directed to Dr. Seaman.  I got the
feeling those attending this meeting were starved for information and
support.

There was discussion of the problems with food labeling and eating
out at restaurants.

There were concerns of well-meaning family and friends who thought
"just a little would not hurt".  There were concerns about
medications.  There were those who were depressed just coping and
living with a food allergy.

This is where the similarities stopped!  Many of those attending this
meeting have had severe reactions to foods (many to peanuts) that
caused them to go into anaphylactic shock.  Death can occur if they
are not given the treatment they need very quickly.  The problem is
how to get the treatment you need when at school, or a friend's
house, or traveling.  You never know when you can come into contact
with the smell of a peanut or get a bee sting.  These allergies cause
very real horror stories.  These people could die and they know it.

After the meeting I thought of the frustration of eating out and
having to send back my order maybe twice or more.  I thought of what
happens when I accidentally eat some gluten.  Somehow, cramps,
diarrhea, or gas don't seem so bad when I know that in a few hours
I'll feel better.

I am very glad I attended the Food Allergy Meeting, and I know their
group will be a big success.  It certainly puts having celiac disease
in the right perspective for me.  I'm glad I only have to avoid
gluten to live a healthy life.