From:
Valerie Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 12:41:24 -0800

[My responses are in brackets.]

Since September I have been dealing with weight loss (10 pounds, now
weigh 95).  I am gluten free, sugar free, and dairy free.  It is the
sugar and carbohydrates that are playing havoc with me.
[Those have been problem foods for me too.  I can eat starches now, but
sugars still are a problem & I expect they always will be.]

In the last 3 weeks I have tried an antibiotic to kill, what they say is
an overgrowth of bad bacteria, but did not
notice any change in symptoms.
[You probably have yeast overgrowth as well.  Antibiotics won't help that
& will likely make it worse.  What you need is live culture foods such as
raw kimchi or sauerkraut which are available at many health food stores.
Better yet, learn to make your own kimche or sauerkraut.  Search the web
& you'll find recipes.]

Then  a week ago I used a probiotic for a week with no results.
[The only time probiotics helped me is when I took about a dozen a day,
but that's gets rediculously expensive & the benefit was only marginal.]

Two days ago I started on Viokase, a pancreatic enzyme, and if anything I
am worse.
[The Viokase is probably a little helpful as long as it's GF, but it's
just not everything you need.  The product I use (Thorne BIO-GEST)
contains pancreatic enzymes that are easy to tolerate because they are
from beef source.]

My mouth and throat feel really strange--sore and like the throat is
going to close, I get terrible stomach aches, air in my throat.
[Folic acid deficiency can cause that.  I used to have that all the time.
Then I found out I was folic acid deficient & started on 1000 mcg of
folic acid dissolved under the tongue every day.  Within a few days my
mouth soreness went away.  Folic acid supplements are available
everywhere.  You also probably need some extra B12 which is also good for
a sore mouth.]

I ate potatoes last night and that was really a mistake. There is just
nothing I can put in my mouth to add calories to the body.
[Go to your local health food store & ask for Spectrum Organic
Shortening.  It's pure palm oil, all natural, non-hydrogenated.  Cook
with it.  Spread it on your rice crackers.  Blend it in your beverages.
Eat it straight.  It really helps sooth an upset gut & adds good quality
calories to your diet.  Coconut oil is also very healthy.  Both retard
the growth of yeast & bacteria in the GI track.  I saw an improvement in
my skin w/i a couple weeks of using this stuff.  It has really helped me
gain weight too. I've gained about 6 precious pounds.  I can now tolerate
potatoes, too.  Whoo hoo!]

The doctors just shake their heads and have no clue.
[Conventional, insurance reimbursed doctors are generally useless for
this kind of stuff.  They don't have the training or the time.  What you
need is an alternative doctor or a good naturopath.]

Because I'm intolerant to so much, I can't take many medications.  What
is the brand and do you have a prescription for it?
[You need to get your gut a bit more settled down before you try any
product with HCl in it.  The Specific Carbohydrate diet is really good
for this. (Breaking the Vicious Cycle by Elaine Gottshall)]
-------------------------
I found this in Dr. Joel Wallach's book "Let's play Doctor"
ACHLORHYDRIA (loss of stomach acid)
        Contrary to belief stress will result in loss of stomach acid
production. Achlorhydria is also a natural process of aging (perhaps the
most significant aging phenomenon) so much so that 75% of people over the
age of 50 years require supplementation.  Symptoms include "burp/belch
and bloat" because the absence of stomach acid allows intestinal bacteria
and yeast (Candida albicans) to enter the stomach and ferment high
carbohydrate foods (i.e. juice, fruit, breads, etc.)  Failure to deal
with achlorhydria will result in B-12, calcium and protein deficiencies
and the onset of new food allergies as a result of absorption of
partially digested polypeptides
(relatively large protein fragments).
        Treatment includes supplementation of betain HCl at the rate of 75-250mb
15-20 minutes before each meal.  In the absence of betain HCl 1-2 oz. of
vinegar with English bitters (Gentain) may be taken before meals.
Additionally, plant derived colloidal minerals tonify the stomach and
increase its ability to produce stomach acid.
Steve

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com