From:
cillakat <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 14:47:52 -0400

Regarding the breads from DeLand Bakery in DeLand FL
( www.delandbakery.com )

I had mentioned that the bread was corn free....it's not!  The baking
soda is Rumford which is corn based.  My apologies for getting that info
out without investigating thoroughly.   Some corn free persons may be
able to tolerate that  amount, many will not.

Two people have written to say that, yes, it was the best bread they've
had since going gluten free, but they did have severe reactions to the
millet.   One of the two said essentially (I'm paraphrasing)  "heck, if
I have to have an 'other' food intolerance, I'll take millet over
dairy".  True, avoiding millet isn't so tough:)

One person said they didn't have room for 74 loaves of bread.....oops!
My typo.  It's a mininum order of 24 bags or loaves.  Takes  up less
room than I thought, but I do have a chest freezer in the garage.
Another option would be to go in on it with a few friends from a local
celiac group, or even better yet, get a local hfs (health food store) to
carry it. I'm working on that right now.

On a disappointing note, when I called to order 24 more bags of the
apple cinnamon raisin buns, they informed me that they're discontinuing
them as of December 1.  The buns are handmade (obviously.......they're
darling little braided mini-challah shapes).  They're making more room
for more mechanization since the business is growing my leaps and
bounds.  Looks like they just won't have the time/space to continue the
more labor intensive work of the ACR buns.  The rest of their gluten
free line remains.....and may even grow.

I'm really bummed about it.  I may have to take up baking to try to
duplicate  them......  not;)  I'm an awful baker.  Anyone interested in
experimenting?  <vbg>   (very big grin)

If you've tried and like the  Apple Cinnamon Raisin Buns, please let
them know how important they are to you, and how disappointing it would
be to loose the texture and taste of them.   Perhaps, they could be
coaxed into finding a way to continue the production of the buns.

take care;)
katherine in atl