From:
cillakat <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 09:48:17 -0400

info in << >> is quoted material.  My responses will follow.

One listmember wrote;
<<Input for a summary:
I am also fond of these products. I think they make the best hamburger
and hot dog buns I have ever found. They don't fall apart with moisture,
and the taste and texture complement the meat.  I have found them at
retail in eastern New England at the Good Health stores (Quincy and
Hanover, Mass.) and at Lois's Natural Marketplace in Scarborough, Maine
(Rt. 1 just south of Portland).

        Lucky for you guys who can get them locally!  That's wonderful.  A
friend who lives in Atlantic City convinced one local health food store         to
carry the millet special (yeastfree bread) and the ACR (apple cinnamon
raisin) Buns.   Hopefully she'll respond as well and I'll her   response to
the summary.

<<You didn't mention Panne Rizo bread ..... delicious!
Check out there website at: www.pannerizo.com.
Also DH is considered a form of Celiac Disease or was
Dh a person?>>

        LOL (laughing out loud;))    I'm on the internet too much and use
lots of abbreviations to save time.  It's doubly confusing in this forum         because
DH has two meanings: dermatitis herpeteformis (which I used to
have.....gone!  yeah!)  and Dear Husband, Darling Husband,      or Darned Husband
depending on what's going on:)  I have a Darling.   He's awesome.

        About the panne rizo, I haven't tried it, but I will.  It's more
expensive than the bread from DeLand Bakery, and has more ingredients.          FE,
  their standard panne rizo breads have dairy(though there are df
options), the Delands breads don't have dairy.  The Millet Special      (yeast
free millet) has:  organic millet flour, brown rice flour, water, baking
powder, sea salt.

        The ACR buns have organic millet flour, cinnamon, raisins, apples,
water, baking powder, sea salt.  (they're under 'bagels' on the         website).  Fwiw
(for what it's worth), they're very large - Larger than a bagel and come
four to a package.

another wrote:
<<-- Have you tried Kinicut's(spelling?) >>

        I'm wondering if this person meant kinnikinnick?  I have....they're
good. Just not as good as the Millet special and ACR buns.

and another poster:
<<do u know if there is any corn in the product?>>
        nope, no corn in the ones I ordered.  You can check their website
www.delandbakery.com for specifics on various items.  most things       were corn,
   dairy and egg free.

one list memeber wrote:
<<I thought millet wasn't gf...>>

        uh oh.  I guess the word isn't getting out:)  it is discussed alot
onlist but maybe some emails are slipping by people.  I know that       happens
to me alot.  I either don't get or accidentally delete the original
query...and then don't know about it till a summary is posted.          Millet, amaranth,
buckwheat, teff and quinoa are gluten free.

        Some people still react to them, and it may seem similar to, very
much, or even exactly like a gluten reaction, but they are considered to         be
gluten free based on the fact that they are more closely related to corn
per Don Kasarda:
        http://www.celiac.com/cgi-
bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=188&p_catid=&sid=91hH9H0WiM7j7Tc-30102059457.
84

        <<If we accept corn and rice as safe, however, and this seems
reasonable to me, then members of the grass family that are more        closely
related to these species (on the basis of taxonomy) than to wheat are
likely to be safe. Such grasses include sorghum, millet,        teff, ragi, and
Job's tears, which appear to be reasonably closely related to corn. >>

<<Also wondering if you tried "Made by Mona's".>>

        No, I haven't but have heard good things about it.

<<Katherine, I totally agree with you, that is great bread.  The health
food stores here in Orlando just started carrying it on their shelves,
even though Deland is just down the road.  Can I ask you something?  How
do you think the bread holds up after freezing?  I would like to send
some to my daughter in NY.  She loves it, but she cannot get it there.
I did mail her a loaf just last week, but it was moldy by the time it
got there.  I did not think to freeze it ahead of time. I might do that
next time.
Hope you enjoy!

        The bread holds up great after freezing.  I just took some to
washington DC, frozen.  Before packing it, I took it out of the plastic,         wrapped
it in two thicknesses of paper towels, placed it back in the plastic,
then *packed it in th suitcase*!!!!  The papertowels absorbed   the moisture
as the bread defrosted, so it didn't get mushy...and the result was
great.  However, this was only a 6 hr span of time...   I       wonder if your
        daughter could get one of the local shops to carry it?  If you do
freeze it and ship it, I'd ship it fedex overnight with an      icepack.... gets
        kind of pricey though...

        I was concerned about ordering 24 bags of *anything* since I didn't
know if we'd like it all (I'd only tried the millet special (yeast free         millet)
   and hadn't had any of the other things).  It's all frozen
beautifully.  To defrost, I remove it from the freezer, and set it
wrapped in a    towel on the counter to defrost, or micro for 45 secs if
in a hurry.  I do like to toast the Millet special (but that's just b/c
I love toast...you      don't have to toast it), but the ACR buns can be
eaten straight out of the package  (uh oh!  :)

one more vote:
<<I agree... It is the only bread I eat and it is WONDERFUL!!!
The rolls are the best.>>

        I haven't tried them.  Just what I need, one more yummy gluten free
bread option. Not.<vbg>  (very big grin)

And a friend who's on this list wrote:
<< I, too, feel it's the best and only GF bread I will eat.  I'll pay
the extra money.  I go in on a shipment with a few others since I really
don't eat too much bread but when I do, I want it to be decent.  >>

        That was pretty funny b/c I didn't know she'd tried it too....and
right now, we're not eating much bread since we're both doing Fat Flush         (by
Anne Louise Gittleman which is a lower carb (not *low* carb, just
lower), whole foods diet.  <waving hi to Lisa while I'm enjoying my     Wilberry
smoothie>

<<I'm envious -- DeLand's is in Florida and I'm here in Ontario, Canada!
I bake my own breads, cakes, etc., but it would be a treat to have
something handy in the freezer, specially if DeLands is that good.>>

        It is.  Truly.

        Take care everyone. I'll keep collecting responses and sending them
along.

        :)
        katherine in atl
        who sends thanks to the person who pointed out that my time and
date on my computer was screwed up,  I think it's fixed now:)