From:
cillakat <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 1 Jan 1970 16:50:00 -0500

A few weeks ago, someone asked:
<<Does anyone out there order from Gillian's?  I hate ordering and paying
outrageous shipping costs for products that just aren't worth it.  I
would
appreciate any input.>>

I've been meaning to post on this very issue, so I'm responding to the
list as a whole.

Gillian's used to be my standard bread...and I've tried everything.
Besides Gillian's, I've tried most of the kinnick kinnick, glutino,
glutano, everything from france and italy (valpiform, schar etc) ,  Mr.
Ritts (philadelphia), making my own, using mixes incl Really Great Food,
Gluten Free Pantry, Miss Roben's.    I've tried everything available
locally including all of the En-R-G products, the various rice/almond,
rice/pecan (etc) from Food for Life.

Gillians was very good,  Mr. Ritts was a disappointment to me - similar
to but grainier than the GFPantry white bread mix.

But.  I found something new.  I've read about it here and on various
gf/cf and autism lists:  The Millet breads from DeLand's bakery in
DeLand FL.  The Millet special (gluten free, dairy free, egg free, yeast
free)  is really really incredible.  And the cinnamon raisin apple
buns?  OH MY GAWD.   I've had nothing even close to this since going
Gluten free.  We were visiting a friend in Nashville who can buy the
millet special locally at Wild Oats.  Wow.  You can make sandwiches that
don't fall apart....that can go in plastic sandwhich bags in a lunch
box.....that you can eat without choking on bread crumbs.....that you
can toast but *don't have to*.

It's best if  you can get your health food store to order it since the
minimum order is 24 bags/loaves....I didn't have the time for that
though since I wanted the cinnamon raisin apple buns for my 3 yo in time
for Rosh Hashana (they look like small braided raisin Challahs).  24
loaves came to a total of $73 or $78 incl shipping - so it was really a
great deal.  I have the space for it (a chest freezer in the garage) so
it wasn't such a problem for me....another option for someone would be
splitting an order with a local celiac group or celiac friends...

Needs to go in the freezer right away or it will get moldy since there
are no preservatives. Everything arrived in perfect shape. Seeing the
look on my daughters face as she was eating her "challah" (the apple
cinnamon raisin buns) was priceless.  My dh didn't think it was gluten
free....because the texture was *that* good.

Dh who isn't celiac willingly eats the cinnamon raisin apple buns (loves
them), and contentedly eats sandwhiches made from the Millet special
bread (which doesn't fall apart and is lighter - texture wise - than
_any other_ GF bread I've had).

Last night we had guests for Shabbat dinner.  I served the apple,
raisin, cinnamon buns since they really do look like mini braided
Challahs.  They're not sweet like a cinnamon roll....the taste is just
like regular bread with raisins - the amount of cinnamon is minimal, the
apples are totally unnoticeable but I think it must be what gives it the
texture since the only ingredients are millet, brown rice, apples,
raisins, cinnamon, sea salt and baking soda.  Yup.  that's it.  No eggs,
no dairy.  wow.

I also ordered the raisin cinnamon bread, the pizza crust/flatbreads,
the 'bagels' (which is just the regular bread shaped into a bagel, but
the hole bakes out an they don't boil them before baking, so the bagel
texture is missing....they're still good though, they make a fine
sandwhich or an excellent hamburger bun.

The Gillians are actually too rich for hamburger buns imo.....

Anyhoo, do try to get the DeLand's stuff if you can manage it.  My
experimentation can save you much money:)  My 24 bags/loaves came to $73
or $78 total...that included shipping so it was really a fantastic deal.

Their phone number is 904-734-7553

Here are some links to posts in the archives regarding DeLand
Bakery....dating back to '98:

http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?S2=celiac&q=DeLand&s=&f=&a=&b=

:)
katherine in atl