EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Equal Access to Software & Information <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2006 08:51:29 -0500
7bit
From:
Jon Gunderson <[log in to unmask]>
Norm,

Wikis are becoming very popular and on our campus we are using the Confluence Wiki, but there many other developers.  There are two main issues from my view navigation and oreintation and authoring.

Problem 1
Wikis have alot of structural relationships that are not clearly identified in the markup through headers and the use of lists.  So they can be very difficult to navigate.  They allow users to change the "view" or organization of information so that compounds the orientation issues.  They also have several menus or navigation bars which are not labeld very well for screen reader users.

Problem 2
Wikis allow users to create and define relationships between content.  These authoring tools often do not directly support creating accessible content and there are a wide number of tools they use to allow people to create content.

We have been working on making the confluence wiki more accessible at UIUC, more information can be found at:

http://www.cita.uiuc.edu/collaborate/wiki/issues.php

Hope this helps,
Jon