Date:
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 09:03:22 -0600

Hi there,

Lots of input on the Citic Acid question.  Thank you all for responding.
I greatly appreciate your help in sorting out this question.
Robin
Minnesota  (summary follows)

All saying mostly the same thing:

Generally if done by a USA manufacturer it is safe because it is corn
derived *But* it can also be wheat derived.  If it is manufactured in
another country then it may well *not* be safe.  The USA usually uses
corn where other countries often use wheat.  Also I was told that
Celiac.com lists it as safe.  (I personally have to be better about
remembering to check these sources before asking a question to so many
people!!!)

See some of the individual replies below:

See the last issue of Gluten Free Living. It explains exactly why citric
acid is not a problem.
**********************************
Here is what I learned about citric acid.  It is not from citrus fruit,
it is derived from a food mold called aspargillus, and is used as a
color preservative in many foods.    Many people, myself included, have
developed a sensitivity to it because of Leaky Gut Syndrome. My doctor
gave me this information after blood tests to identify what foods I had
become sensitized to.  Theoretically, if you avoid these foods for many
months, your intestines can heal and you can then eat more normally (but
still gf, of course!).
**********************************
Hi, I am Celiac, and have been told by my naturopath that I should avoid

all citrus fruits, and apples, as the acid is too harsh for my
intestines.  Doctors (most of them) are not up on the Celiac thing
enough
to be able to advise what to eat or not.  I eat bananas, pears (a
different
acid), peaches, pineapple, but never citrus fruit.  And I must say that
do not suffer from not eating it.
*********************************
Citric acid, if from a USA mfger usually is made from corn;   and it is
gf.
***********************************
I was never told by a doctor to avoid citric acid but did find out it
really, really does both me.   Very small amounts are OK with me, for
instance the citric acid found in Pepsi is OK but the citric acid found
in 7 up gives me trouble.  I think you have to find out what works for
you which takes years and I a lot of self examination.
****************************
You need to be careful with citric acid. If it is from outside the US,
it may contain wheat, etc.  If a product contains citric acid, you would
need to check with the manufacturer.

I make it a practice that nothing goes in the mouth unless it has been
verified to be GF with the manufacturer -- regardless of ingredient
statement.  I have been surprised a few times.
I've heard from some sources that citric acid is never a problem, but
I've also had the manufacturer of jarred pimentoes tell me that their
citric acid contained a trace of gluten, although as I look back they
might have been talking about corn gluten. I didn't know to ask at the
time. The celiac.com list has citric acid as safe.