From:
Kate Mount <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kate Mount <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 04:26:46 -0500

Hi all,
I am posting this message to prevent everybody from making the same
mistake I made.  I am also posting a copy of the letter I wrote to General
Mills to let them know.  Please read all ingredient statements CAREFULLY!
I didn't this one time & my daughter is paying the penalty.  It is a
mistake I won't make again.  Letter below.

Kate

Customer Service Representative
General Mills Sales, Inc.
Minneapolis, MN  55440

Dear Customer Service Representative,

I am writing to alert you to a potentially serious error in labeling on
one of your products.  On Thursday, December 19, 2002, I purchased the can
of Whipped Frosting; the label for which you will please find enclosed.
At the bottom of the ingredient listing you have the phrase “Contains milk
ingredients.”  I assume this is because you are trying to alert your
customers to the presence of one of the 8 known major allergens found in
foods.   I must tell you that my 4 year old daughter has a condition
called Celiac disease.  This means she must avoid all products containing
wheat, rye, barley & oats.  I bought the can of frosting because when I
read the label, I noticed that it stated that it contained Milk
ingredients.  I took this to mean that it does not contain wheat
ingredients. I later gave the frosting on cookies to my daughter.  She
developed symptoms of having ingested wheat, deep purple circles under her
eyes, bloating, hyperactivity & trouble sleeping.  I was at a loss to
explain this until tonight when I re-read the ingredient panel on the can
of frosting.  It clearly states “Wheat Starch”.  While I absolutely agree
that I should have been more careful in reading the ingredients (and I
assure you in the future, I will be) I am concerned that you have labeled
the can with one, but not another of the 8 known major food allergens.
This is very misleading and potentially dangerous to Celiacs & all other
people with food sensitivities.   I strongly urge you to re-label this
product to say – “Contains wheat and milk ingredients” - to better inform
& protect your customers.

Respectfully,

Katherine Mount
Enclosure (1)