From:
Tina Barad <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 23:14:52 -0500

My son is 5 years old and was diagnosed with Celiac at 3. He has been on a gluten free diet for 1 1/2 years and doing well. I have no doubt in my mind that he has been completely gluten free this whole time as our entire household is gluten free and I'm pretty anal about this.

However, my 5 year old son is losing his hair very fast. He has a large bald spot on the back of his head and widowpeaks worse than my husbands. 6 months ago he had a thick head of hair. What is going on??
I had my pediatrician run the standard fat soluable vits and some of the B's and they came back normal. Not anemic either.
1)  Does anyone know what specific vitamin and/or mineral deficiency causees hair loss so I can have them tested?
I still have not been able to find a good gluten free multi vitamin and/or mineral that he can tolerate. He has a lot of sensitivities to other foods as well. We've tried a lot of vitamins.
2) Does anyone know of a good multi vitamin for a 5 year old Celiac child with sensitivities?

Thank you
Tina