From:
Valerie Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 20:39:26 -0700

I originally posted that Lawry's seasoned salt has been making me sick
off & on for the last few months.  Many folks asked me if I had called
the company to confirm it's gluten status.  I started to, then thought:
why bother, no matter what they tell me, I'm not using this product
anymore.  If this product were really essential to my well being, I might
contact the company, but I can easily season my chicken other ways.  Some
list mates shared their own doubts and/or unpleasant experiences with
Lawry's. Kathy sent me a link to a yummy sounding season salt recipe
that's supposed to be a clone of Lawry's!  I'll definitely try it and if
I get sick, then I'll know that I've probably developed an allergy to
tumeric or paprika.  Thanks to all that responded.  Below are some
representative responses.  [My comments are in brackets.]
--------------
I use Lawrys seasoned salt and now that you mention it I sometimes don't
feel right afterwards also.  Sue
-----------------
I noticed a problem with a few years ago even though it had been declared
gf. I had the same tummy trouble, so never had it again. Liz
---------------
I have a fairly new container and it does not list wheat, or any other
offending ingredient.  Don't have a problem with it either.  Did you buy
chicken that had been injected maybe?  Wendy

[It wasn't the chicken.  I only buy fresh whole untreated chickens.]
----------------
Lawry's recently stopped guaranteeing whether their products are GF or
not "due to frequent ingredient chages." They also claim all ingredients
will be clearly marked, but it sounds like to me that they are no longer
to be
trusted. Too bad.   richard
-----------------
If you like Lawry's Seasoned Salt, try this recipe.

http://www.topsecretrecipe.com/recipes/lawryslt.htm

I use it all the time.  I just mix up a batch (sometimes I double it) and
pour it through a funnel into an empty spice jar.  It is easy enough to
make yourself, and you can control the gf status of the ingredients.
Kathy
Is it possible that you are reacting to MSG?  Gayle K

[The bottle says "No MSG."]

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.