From:
Michelle Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michelle Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Sep 2002 08:14:01 -0500

My post was:

Has anyone had trouble with Planters nut or trident gum before? I was well
om my way to a beautiful recovery place... I have been GF for almost 6
months. No symptoms whatsoever for almost a month and now I am back to the
old stuff. The only thing I can think of is the nuts and/or too much
sorbitol in chewing gum...

This seems like a true celiac reaction so I am ruling out the gum for the
most part.

I had approximately 30 or so responses:

Most responses stated that the nuts were the problem due to cross
contamination and/or if they were dry roasted they could have gluten. In
addition, some people who are recently diagnosed just can't handle
digesting nuts...

Trident gum is considered GF, so the sorbitol in the gum was most likely
the culprit. The answers varied regarding reactions based on sensitivity.
Some people had no trouble at all and others couldn't have one piece
without having trouble!

It looks like both are offenders in their own rights! Ugh... Thanks for
all who responded.