From:
Valerie Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 18:29:51 -0800

COOK BOOKS:
-"Barbara Kafka's Microwave Gourmet Cookbook; includes excellent polenta
and risotto recipes."
-"Christopher Kimball's The Cook's Bible."

-"Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon has made a major difference in my
recovery"

-"I really like my two cookbooks, The Gluten Free Gourmet Cooks Fast and
Healthy, by Bette Hagman, and Gluten Free Baking - by Rebecca Reilly.
These are life savers! My son, age 10, was really missing bagels, and I
found a recipe in the Hagman book. It gives him hope that Mom will look
things ups to satisfy these little desires for favorite foods. (I'm
celiac as well, but I really started learning new recipes once I knew he
was celiac, too)."

-"I'm trying out a new weight loss program that I read about in Woman's
World magazine. It is called the Warrior Diet. Basically it is fruit in
the morning, plus a little protein ... almonds to hold you over...and
Coffee! if you want it  - YAY! (I love healthy diets that allow a little
imperfection here and there!). In the afternoon it switches to raw
vegetables ( green salad and anything else, plus a little protein. Dinner
is a real meal! It starts with salad, the steamed veggies and fish or
chicken, or other protein, and then carbs or even dessert....Anyway,
pertinent to this discussion is that beyond whatever it might do for my
body, it makes a very easy GLUTEN FREE day, and then I can focus on
making a really nice meal for all of us at night!  So this is one of my
latest discoveries. We'll see if I lose weight...I am vigorously
exercising again."
STORAGE AIDS:

-"Of course, numerous rubbermaid storage containers- for storing flours,
mixes, etc.  I especially like the 1/2 gallon or two liter size.  Square
ones make best use of the shelf space-"

-" My pans are all hanging or stacked on my metal baker's rack too, which
saves cabinet space for all the
GF flours and foods.  My kitchen looks like a working kitchen, yes, it is
more like Julia Child's kitchen than Martha Stewart's. "

-"I bought two sets (one of big sizes, one of small sizes) of Tupperware
canisters to store my gf flours.  Since we need so many kinds (four flour
blend, rice, tapioca, corn starch, dry milk, potato starch, xanthan gum,
and
others), this gives me an easy way to store them.  I store these in a
cardboard box, which I treat as a makeshift drawer.  I push it into a
cabinet, and pull the whole thing out when I bake.  My daughter made
labels
for the cannister tops, so I can easily read the contents and pull the
one I need.
Spices:  I buy mine from Penzeys and I store these in a cardboard box,
too, which I push back on my microwave table.  I have little labels that
I put on the lids, and I store them in alphabetical order, so that I can
pull out the box and see from the top what I want."

-"rotating Pampered Chef tool caddy.  It holds cutlery (in their own
sheaths), spatulas, gadgets.  Very handy, saves drawer space."

GADGETS & MISC.:
-Digital remote thermometer -- for measuring the internal temperature of
roasts, bread, etc.
-I love my EZ peel garlic peeler.  Peels clove after clove in seconds!"
[mentioned by two people]

-"I absolutely LOVE several things from Pampered Chef (I promise that I
have no connection with them).  I love the food chopper, garlic press,
kitchen shears, and the Professional Cookware.  "

-"I found a ice cream scoop that you warm in the microwave before
scooping the ice cream.  It works!  I just love it!" [couldn't say where
she got it]

-"My best kitchen -better yet -household item is a maid!!! LOL"

-"My Harsch crock (I gave in and got one: I'm too addicted to kimchi)."

-" A good cutting board (esp. the over the sink kind)."

-" I use an island for preping GF, and the rest of the family foods which
may contain gluten are preped on another counter."

-"I love the Good Grips by Oxo peeler.  Works great!"

-"here are a few items from www.bakerscatalogue.com that I find very
helpful:
Sourdough crock
Medium cooling rack
Artisan bread topping
Quick Shine spray (new item)"

-"I think Karin's favourite gadget is me :-) David Walland (Spouse of a
Coeliac)"

-"Salad Spinner:  They take up a lot of room, but they save so much mess
of washing and drying lettuce with paper towels.  They also work well for
spinning dry washed fresh herbs."

-"Pampered Chef vegetable peeler, and a Daisy food spreader/slicer that I
found at an antique store.
It makes wonderful vegetable "noodles"."

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com