From:
Cindy L Schaefer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cindy L Schaefer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 10:29:34 -0400

Wow!

Thanks to everyone who responded so quickly to my question/confusion about
modified food starch in M&M and Mars products!  I had so many replies, I can't
thank people individually.

The concensus was that M&Ms, skittles and starburst are in fact gluten free,
which everyone seemed to know except me!  Normally, I don't eat candy, so I had
never researched that before.  Thanks! :)

Interestingly, there wasn't concensus in the replies.  Some people said that
modified food starch in the US MUST be gluten free.  Perhaps this is a newer
law?  I was concerned because in the past year, I have gotten really sick
eating a few things which contained modified food starch.  But perhaps there
was contamination from other sources.

Anyway, many people cautioned that we always need to inquire about the source
of modified food starch.  However, given the above information, I am wondering
if perhaps this has changed due to laws, and not everyone may know this?

It seems there are always more questions!

Stay well,
Cindy Schaefer