From:
Susan Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 19:51:57 -0800

Hey Listies,
I know it's late, but we're still talk'in turkey. Here's the summary of your marvelous suggestions.

GRAVY:
Most said to use cornstarch. Other responses include:
I've found Arrowroot to be excellent for thickening

My favorite is to toast sweet rice flour in a dry pan which enhances the
flavor & smell.  Kind of like making a roux in reverse...Brown the flour before mixing it with the fat....

Mix cooled flour with water & add to pan dripping.  This makesa gravy very
similar in texture to old fashioned wheat flour gravy. The longer you cook it, the thicker it gets.
Be careful...hot flour is very slippery!

My favorite is to toast sweet rice flour in a dry pan which enhances the flavor & smell.  Kind of like making a roux in reverse...Brown the flour
before mixing it with the fat....

Mix cooled flour with water & add to pan dripping.  This makes a gravy very similar in texture to old fashioned wheat flour gravy. The longer you cook
it, the thicker it gets. Be careful...hot flour is very slippery!

Check out the Bette's Gourmet Four Flour Blend at Whole Foods in San Diego

GF Pantry French bread mix

Gluten Free Pantry pie crust mix

potato starch -

      Herb Gravy

            This recipes comes to us from Amber Lee.

            2 cups water
            2 tablespoons butter or margarine
            1 tablespoon chicken boullon (or 3 cubes)
            1/2 teaspoon onion powder
            1/2 teaspoon salt
            dash of sage
            dash of thyme
            dash of pepper

            Heat ingredients in a saucepan. Whisk together 2T cornstarch + 1/4 C cold water in a small bowl Add to cornstarch/water to saucepan. Boil 1 minute to thicken. Makes 2 cups

Use gluten-free cereal, crushed with butter added.

Sweet rice flour (also called gluteinous rice flour) from oriental grocery

Recently one of my neighborhood groceries started carrying Johnson's Self-Rising Unbolted Corn Flour, which has more flavor than cornstarch, and a nice floury texture. I cook it a while like cornstarch, and then it even browns nicely! (Regular cornstarch doesn't brown for me.) Johnson's Unbolted makes a very nice brown gravy, and I've used it like old gluten-type flour in other situations too, like meatloaf or coating fried veggies

PIE CRUST:
Pie Pastry:

1 1/2 cup sifted GF flour *
1/2 cup soy flour
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup Crisco or other shortening
5-7 tablespoons COLD water (I use 7)

Sift flours, xanthan and salt; cut in shortening until likeness of cornmeal; sprinkle in water and mix with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half, rolling each half between sheets of wax paper until dough is about the thickness of 1/8 inch. Place into pie plate, fill with favorite GF filling and bake as directed.

* GF flour 6 parts rice flour
2 parts potato starch flour
1 part tapioca starch flour

Rice and Almond Flour Pie Crust
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

Grind 1/3 cup whole almonds to a fine powder in a blender --
don't blend until it's a paste
3/4 cup brown rice flour
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch of ground cloves
3 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons honey

PIE CRUST:

1. In a 9-inch pie plate, combine the ground almond flour, brown rice flour, cinnamon or nutmeg and cloves.  Mix well with a fork.
2. In a microwave dish, combine the water, oil and honey and heat on low setting until honey liquefies.
3. Drizzle the honey liquid over the flour mixture in the pie plate, and stir with a fork until well blended.
4. Let stand until the dry ingredients absorb the liquid.
5. Shape the crust by pressing mixture firmly into place with your fingers, covering bottom and sides of plate evenly.  Pat top edge of crust into straight edge.
6. Bake before or after adding filling.  Bake empty crust for 5 minutes. Bake filled crust as you are directed for the regular pie.
NOTE: I've noticed that the gluten-free pastries tend to brown quicker -- keep an eye on it and if it looks like it's browning too fast, put a strip of aluminum foil around the edge until the filling is done. Another way is to make sure the pastry isn't higher than the filling. So far I've never
made a pie with a crimped edge. Most of the pastries I've tried are too tender for that. I'm sure there are recipes out there that work like the old pastry...I'm still looking. Makes one bottom crust.
Topping (good for apple pie) -- it's a soft, not crumbly topping.

Cream in the mixer
4oz of sugar
4oz of butter/margarine
When this is ready beat in 2 eggs. Mix in 4oz ground almonds. Spread the mix over the filling and bake. The top should turn golden.

Here's a 'crumble' type of topping

1 cup GF flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 stick butter, melted

Mix together dry ingredients and add melted butter; mix well. Spread flour mixture evenly over pie and bake.

Three suggestions for: Bette Hagman's vinegar pie crust recipe from her recent revised edition of the book " Living Well Without Wheat- The Gluten Free Gourmet." - Use a few tablespoons more ice water than she calls for.

Thanks for Giving!
Gobble Gobble..SusieQ