From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 22:40:29 -0500
On Friday 01 November 2002 05:37 pm, Brett Getz wrote:
> Hey guys,  I just installed Linux Mandrake for the first time on my PC.  I
> have to admit I really like it very powerful and stable OS.  But one thing
> that bothers me is that I can't get my modem to work.  I checked out the
> site for compatibilty modems for Linux and mine falls under the category
> WINMODEMS.  So if anybody has any advice on what I should do lets hear it.
> But if I really can't do anything to solve the promblem then I would like
> to know what modem I could buy thatwould work with Mandrake 9.0  Thanks
> Guys...  Brett Getz

Brett:
First, let's hope it's a linmodem and not a winmodem. (Linmodem: Winmodem
that can be made to work under Linux. Winmodem: Modem for which there is no
known cure.)

The two best sources of information are linmodems.org and
www.idir.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html. Both contain a number of useful links,
and both are kept up-to-date. The later site has a comprehensive table that
lists the current status of most modems. You may also find some information
at mandrakeuser.org (see both the documents and discussion areas).

Bear in mind that the appropriate remedy depends on the chipset rather than
the modem brand name, so that the remedy for a Rockwell HCF chipset should
work on any modem that uses that chipset.

Also, just because something is listed as a winmodem doesn't necessarily mean
that it is. Case in point: One of my modems is a Zoom ISA modem that is often
listed as a winmodem. However, I learned from Zoom's tech support  moving two
jumpers on the board would defeat the plug-and-play "feature" and force a com
port/IRQ combination, thereby making it a real modem. Runs like a champ.
Moral: Take a look at the support section of your modem manufacturer's
website -- they may well have some information about how to get the little
rascal to work with Linux.

HTH.

Regards,
Carroll Grigsby