VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 13:22:36 -0700
I called Southwest Airlines customer service yesterday and left a message
explaining my position.  They called me back today and thanked me for
contacting them.  They confirmed that the suit is real.  They also told me I
am the only blind person who has contacted them so far.  I would encourage
everyone who agrees with my position that this lawsuit is inappropriate to
contact Southwest.

I am an activist when it is called for.  I therefore feel that I must
respond to anything which is inappropriate just as vigorously.

Access now is a law firm (if I remember correctly) which goes around suing
anyone they think they can pressure in to giving them money.  Many of their
suits are non-warranted.  Recently, they attempted to sue several small
shops in San Francisco.  We held a large meeting to educate the store-owners
on what they are and are not legally responsible for.  When access now
settles a suit, they give no instructions on how to improve accessibility.
They appear to only be interested in the potential financial gains.

David Chittenden