From:
Rob Cilia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 2003 08:40:28 -0600
Hi Ian, what are the specs on this HP Pavilion 6701?  Win98SE does sound
like a good choice but you probably won't find any win98 drivers for modems
and other specific hardware since this was a WinME pc. I have found that
Compaq & HP desktops & laptops that came with ME preinstalled will run great
with Win98 but you won't get the original conexant modems running because
the only drivers provided are winme, win2k & winxp signed drivers.  As soon
as you try to use the winme driver under win98, the installation will halt.
Also, if the specs support it I would go with Win2k or WinXP if not, go
ahead and install Win98SE - the pc will probably run great but you might not
get all of the hardware functioning.  If she can run WinXP on her pc without
too much of a performance hit, go with WinXP and run in classic mode that
way all the settings are a little more familiar to the end user without too
much if any training needed to get her running. Just my 0.02 cents cdn.
Thx....rob,wpg

Original Email >>>>>>>>>>>>>