BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Becker, Dan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
only great work is done in monkish silence <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 12:01:52 -0400

Being hearing impaired, this is where I find myself. It is not possible
for me to casually eavesdrop and glean information from the sonic
surroundings...no learning by osmosis in the aural realm for me. (On the
other hand, don't tell secrets from across the room where I can see
you...loose lips sink ships when flapped in front of lip readers.) So
what happens, sometimes to my eternal loss, is that I stop trying.
Energy is invested in actively engaging in direct communication; no
energy is invested in awareness of background noise because I gain very
little from it. As a result, I have very good powers of concentration
and not so good powers of general engagement.

Dan Becker,  Exec. Dir.     "What's this? Fan mail
Raleigh Historic             from some flounder?"
Districts Commission         - Bullwinkle J. Moose
919/890-3678