From:
Bob Tinney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Tinney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 07:55:57 -0500
Hi Ray,

The Kenwood R-5000 is a general coverage receiver and though you can scan
memories like a scanner, the receiver looks more like a ham radio piece of
equipment.  I just bought a similar receiver, the Yaesu VR-5000 which has
1000 memories and will cover from 100khz to 2.6 gigs.  It also has a
optional voice synthesizer and I bought it when it was on sale last spring.
For scanning though, I use the Radio Shack pro-96 as the police in my area
have gone digital.  The reason that I have both a scanner and a receiver is
that the receiver with its voice synthesizer is easier to manually tune and
then know what frequency you are on.  The trunk tracking digital scanner
can't be beat for copying my local police.
Bob Tinney, K8LR, [log in to unmask]
FIGHT TRUTH DECAY!