From:
"Nathan, Kevin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 09:34:16 -0700
Hi butch,

First, you cannot switch the ports to one.  the UHF port is a type N
connector while the VHF port is the standard SO-239.  I used a combiner and
had to purchase an N to SO-239 adapter to get it to work but it worked very
well set up that way.

I'm not sure what all this concern over an external keypad for entering
frequencies is about.  The 2000 has a very nice keypad on the front of the
radio which is easy to use to enter frequencies.

There is an optional hand mic available, I believe the model is the MC-52DM,
which has a touchtone pad on it as well as extra buttons for controlling
this or other Kenwood radios.  The big problem I found with this mic is that
it does not sound very good compared even to the supplied MC-47 hand mic.  I
messed with the transmit EQ a lot to try to get good audio out of it with no
real success.  It is important to remember that the audio produced by the
sub system for 2 and 440 is not as good as that produced by the main system.
I used mine with the sub system set up for VHF/UHF and the main for HF and
never could get this mic to sound good on the sub side at all.  Even on the
main, I never achieved the quality of transmitted audio I desire from my
rigs.  Not enough lows in it.

I hope this is helpful to some extent.  If you are going to use the rig to
access IRLP or other touch tone features, I would find a small handheld
touchtone generator and hold it up to the mic.  I did this and it worked
very well indeed.

Good luck and very 73.
Kevin, K7RX

Kevin Nathan, Independent Living Coordinator
Dept. of Services for the Blind
3411 S. Alaska
Seattle, Wa 98118
Voice:  (206) 721-6450