From:
"Nathan, Kevin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 09:17:08 -0800
Hello,

I am sending this to three lists on which I have memberships in hopes this
information may be of help to another Kenwood TS-2000 owner.  I have owned
my rig since May of last year and am very, very pleased with it.  However, I
have wanted to do something about the listening audio in my shack.  Up to
this point I have used a Radio Shack mobile speaker for vhf/uhf and a full
range mobile mounting stereo speaker containing separate woofer, mid range
and tweeter for the HF side of things.  While this full range speaker has
good fidelity, it would allow a lot of extra noise and other distractions
such as kind of a low frequency rumbling sound when I turned on the DSP1
setting on the TS-2000.

To make a long story short, I was able to find two of the mobile mounting
Motorola communication speakers at a local two way radio shop for a good
price.  I did some experimenting to determine what I wanted to do for audio
and arrived at the following arrangement.  I have mounted these speakers
under the shelf just above my radio on the operating table.  They are
separated by probably about 2 to 2 and a half feet.  I fed them in parallel
from the 2000 and the sound I get is awesome.  while not full high fidelity,
it brings out ssb and cw signals very, very well and allows use of the DSP
on the 2000 with no low frequency rumbling.  The effect I get is that it
seems the whole area in front of me is a wall of sound.  Listening is much
easier and less tiring now.  By the way, I used the Radio Shack speaker for
the vhf/uhf side and mounted it to the right of the right hand most of the
Motorolas which gives me good sound from it and yet enough spacing to help
me differentiate between the two signals.

Sorry about the length of this post but I thought someone else might find it
worthwhile.  Take care and very 73.

Kevin Nathan, Independent Living Coordinator
Dept. of Services for the Blind
3411 S. Alaska
Seattle, Wa 98118
Voice:  (206) 721-6450